Friday, March 27, 2015

Eye Opening Tour of Allure


      During the few days I was in in New York, I was able to get a private tour of Allure magazine’s new office in the One World Trade Center. Although Condé Nast owns about 20 floors in the building, my tour consisted only of Allure magazine’s floor, the 31 floor. 
During the tour they showed us the programs they use to lay out their pages (which made me very happy when I realized they use the same program I am using, InDesign), ways to  benefit from lighting when taking pictures of clothing and other items, their beauty closet (I know, a whole closet), and techniques to keep in mind when taking pictures of makeup. 

Not only did I leave “the big apple” a little bit wiser, I also left inspired and excited. 

Inspired- I saw people using the same tools I am learning to master for this project in order to create real magazine covers and layouts. The experience I am gaining and the tools I am learning to manage due to this project are being put to use everyday by different publications. To think that I am 17 years old and I am already familiar with them baffles me. 
    
 Excited- Although I have been excited for this project for a while because I genuinely enjoy the process of laying out and designing, after this tour I became excited all over again to use my newly attained knowledge and create something from a magazine, literally and figuratively.








No comments:

Post a Comment